Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Week 7: Exercise 16, Wikis

Before I respond to this Exercise, I want to note that I figured out how to add my Shopping Rollyo Search bar to my blog from Week 5, Exercise 12. It's posted in the left column. I actually had it figured out back then, but my search bar looked different. After reading CSLA's tips, I figured out that I had to select the gray, white, or red search roll in order for it to look like the Rollyo search bar. Yeah!!!!

I also was able to figure out how to make my blogline public (Week 4, Exercise 8). You can find it at: http://www.bloglines.com/public/cldoerk Another success!!!!

Now back to this week's exercise......
SJCPL Subject Guides - I looked at the Harry Potter subject guide. I liked the "If you liked Harry Potter..." then a list of books were given. Only librarians at SJCPL can edit the wiki and add books to the list. What a great selection tool!

Book Lovers Wiki - What great book recommendations! I'm going to read some of these!

Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki - WOW!!! What a wealth of information! Another tag for Del.icio.us.

CSLA Conference 2007 Wiki - This has potential, especially as we get closer to conference time. I am looking forward to hearing about the restaurants in the Ontario area.

The Albany County Public Library Staff Wiki - Interesting. It could work for our district libraries by having LMTs/techs post how they do certain things in order to come up with standardized procedures for some areas. Rather than having me collect all of the responses/data, they could be posted from each school site where everyone could see and contribute. Then I could compile the results.

Library Bloggers Wiki - A great place to find school library blogs.

Sample school wikis - It was good to see how classroom teachers use wikis with their students. I sent the AP World History wiki site to our high school AP teacher. The teacherlibrarianwiki was great! Another tag on Del.icious!

The library wikis I viewed are controlled by who can edit them--registered librarians only from the wiki library site. What great resources these wikis are! I was reluctant to use wikis and didn't know there were wikis for library resources. This exercise was very enlightening to me. I particularly am interested in the library wikis--I think I can trust them. As mentioned above, I would like to start a library staff wiki in our district in order to cut down on all of the e-mails sent back and forth with needed information. Now, I need to find out if I can get a wiki-hosting site unblocked.

2 comments:

IrmaPince said...

A library staff wiki is a great idea. It could even eliminate some time consuming meetings!

RfP said...

Do you have a link to the Harry Potter Subject Guide? I started my own list of recommendations, but I'd love to link to a more comprehensive set.