Monday, July 16, 2007

Week 9: Exercise 22, e-Books and Audio eBooks

The World EBook Fair site has a variety of collections to choose from--for example, Government Printing Office, Women Writers, and the 1000 e-books for One Laptop per Child program that had classic older titles for children and young adults. The Internet Archive is interesting--many older books that are available for free; some real old children's books.

I liked the Best Places to Get Free Books site--a large list of sites of free books to download. I liked the Gutenburg Project Top 100--you can see the list of the top 100 downloads without having to search for specific books and being disappointed when you didn't get any hits. Actually, I like the Gutenberg Project website better than the World EBook Fair site. World EBook Fair has way too many things that I'm not interested in. The Gutenberg site is a little more manageable, especially for a school site library.

I enjoyed looking at the LibriVox site for free audiobooks. I listened to part of Romeo and Juliet.

I really don't know how much I will use these sites. I guess if I couldn't find a book in print this would be the way to go. Using free audiobooks for the classics would be good for teachers to use in the classroom or students could listen to the audiobooks in the library.

1 comment:

IrmaPince said...

There is a whole other world of books out there! And just when we thought we at least had a handle on those in print!
One more activity and you will have completed SLL2.0 - way to go!