Sunday, July 15, 2007

Week 9: Exercise 21, Podcasts

I had limited library news results with Podcast.net (that I thought were interesting). Yahoo Podcasts had several good ones. Both Podcast.net and Yahoo Podcasts had Book Voyages - A school LMT podcasts reviews of children's literature and interviews with authors and students. I like this one because it focuses on children/YA book reviews and authors. I heard the podcast where Bruce Coville is interviewed. I subscribed to this podcast and it appears in my iTunes and Yahoo podcasts, but I couldn't get it to post to my Bloglines.

Through Podcast Alley I found LibVibe, a library news broadcast. I was able to add this RSS feed to my Bloglines. Very cool news. Podcast Alley had quite a few good library podcasts.

Education Podcast Network - I like how it's geared to teachers and you can select podcasts by subject matter. However, it would be helpful to have a search box.

iTunes - There isn't a search box so I couldn't search for library news (I'm not registered with iTunes, so maybe that's the problem). Anyway, I went through the podcasts that were listed and found Spanish Success that had five Spanish lessons. I e-mailed my husband the information so he could experience podcasting--he's listened to Spanish lessons on audiotapes in the past. These were pretty good lessons--simple, with explanations as to why words are pronounced a certain way.

Podcasts could be very useful for a library media teacher to keep up-to-date; however, it's the time involved to listen, just as the RSS feeds for blogs/news. And I can't listen while I'm working. I am not an auditory learner--I'm a visual learner. So my mind tends to wander if I have to listen only. Podcasts may not be for me. :-(

1 comment:

IrmaPince said...

Hmmm, it would be an interesting survey to see how many of us are visual learners vs. auditory learners. I even have trouble listening to books on tape!